Valentine’s Day - Some cringe and some smile as the holiday sneaks up on us like the five pounds at Christmas. Women look around and all they see are couples, chocolates, flowers, balloons and romance. Men look around and all they see is…nothing. Do men even realize Valentine’s Day is coming? Who knows. The Hallmark holiday can cause friction for both lovebirds and the single’s club, but how you handle it is what that really matters.
Still searching for Mr. Right? Get your ladies together, go out on the town and meet new men or buy some wine and have an 80’s movie rerun night.
Taken? Don’t stress about what your guy does for you. Savor the moment and enjoy the time you’re spending together. Think about it, there are 364 other days in the year for your boyfriend to go above and beyond and you won’t even have to thank Hallmark for telling him to do so!
Looking for ideas? Check out some heartfelt tips on how to make the most of Valentine’s Day, or better yet, use these to make every day of the year Valentine’s Day – single or taken.
Movies in the Park
- Visit Biltmore Fashion Park in the fall and spring and check out Friday night movies in the park. Pick up a picnic dinner to go, grab a blanket and snuggle up under the stars as you watch a timeless classic. http://www.shopbiltmore.com/events.asp
- Saving money? Why not make your own backyard a movie in the park. Set up a projection screen, put down a blanket and make a savory picnic meal. Your backyard will never look so good!
- Not a desert resident? Google movies in the park in your city and chances are they have something similar.
Savor the Desert Flavor
- Rustler’s Rooste – A slide, a real bull and they serve snake (along with BBQ chicken and steak of course). If you are ready for a cowboy adventure, visit: www.rustlersrooste.com
- Greaswood Flats – Picnic tables, live music and a wild west of a good time. www.greasewoodflat.net
- Schnepf Farms – With peach festivals, pumpkin farms and an olive mille next door, this is a farm adventure that you’d never expect to find in Arizona. www.schnepffarms.com
- Horseback Riding – You’re not an Arizonan until you’ve tried it – www.cavecreekoutfitters.com
- Hot Air Balloon Rides – Take a look at Arizona from a different angle – www.hotairexpeditions.com
Here are just a few local spots to try with your sweetie.
- Rokerji – Nestled in Central Phoenix with a fireplace and deep wood furniture, this spot is perfect for a romantic dinner for two. http://www.burningembersphoenix.com/
- Dick’s Hideway – Richardson’s is now under renovation but in the meantime; try out Dick’s Hideaway which is the quaint and charming brother of Richardson’s. Built off the kitchen, it’s cozy and the food leaves you counting the days until your next visit. http://www.burningembersphoenix.com/
- My Florist Café – Make sure you go there for dinner and eat your scrumptious meal to the sound of live music. http://www.myfloristcafe.com/
Side Note – If you’re looking for a post-dinner drink, check out Sidebar or The Rhythm Room (live jazz!)
- Chelsea’s Kitchen – Homecookin’ at its finest. www.chelseaskitchenaz.com/
- Capitol Grille – High quality steak in a cozy setting. www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Radio Milano – Be sure to eat there on Neighborhood Night (Mon & Tues) and you’ll get an appetizer or dessert and entrée for $20! www.radiomilanobar.com/
- Pizzeria Bianco – It’s world famous, but be ready for a 2-3 hour wait. The good news though is that there is an adorable wine bar next door to help you pass the time! www.pizzeriabianco.com/
Take a class that leaves you wanting homework!
- Sign up for www.localwineevents.com to learn about wine tasting opportunities in your area.
Revisit your childhood
- Phoenix Zoo – elephants. Need I say more? www.phoenixzoo.org/
- Arizona Science Museum – They even have “grown-up” nights out and an Imax theater- www.azscience.org/
Wine and Cheese Please
- Postino Wine Cafe – www.postinowinecafe.com/
- Kazimieriz – www.kazbar.net
- Armitage – www.armitagewine.com/
- Bomberos Wine Bar – www.bomberoswinebar.com
Wine Tasting Adventures
- Sonoita Vineyards- www.sonoitavineyards.com
- Callaghan Vineyards – www.callaghanvineyards.com
- Rancho Rossa Vineyards – www.ranchorossa.com/
Home is where the heart is.
- Make it a night in, cook together and play your favorite board games.
- Can’t get away? Local resorts are the perfect vacation at a home away from home.
- Vegas, Flagstaff and Sedona are just a stone’s throw away. Grab your honey or your best friends, visit www.priceline.com and take a weekend to get out-of-town. Don’t forget the road trip music mix!
For more ideas take a look at these sites: